It can be frustrating if you struggle to lose stubborn fat in different parts of your body, especially if you’ve been dieting and exercising. However, resorting to something as invasive as surgery is unnecessary. CoolSculpting is an excellent way to eliminate unwanted fat and help you feel more confident in your body without any downtime.
CoolSculpting can target specific areas in the body, helping you achieve your aesthetic goals. Learn more about how CoolSculpting works and the benefits of the treatment.
What Is CoolSculpting and How Does It Work?
CoolSculping is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure that kills fat cells in targeted areas. CoolSculpting uses a process called “cryolipolysis,” which exposes targeted areas to extremely cold temperatures, causing the fat cells in that location to crystallize and die. This process avoids frostbite on the skin, targeting fat cells without causing damage to muscle tissue, nerves or blood vessels. CoolSculping is a less invasive alternative to liposuction when trying to eliminate diet- and exercise-resistant fat.
CoolSculpting uses a “cold applicator,” similar to a canister vacuum. The applicator significantly cools the targeted area for the best results. The exact level of coldness will depend on what area you’re treating for fat reduction. Initially, the treatment was intended for large areas, such as the thighs, stomach and hips. Once smaller applicators were developed, the treatment can now be used on smaller areas, such as the underarms, chin and bra line.
Is CoolSculpting Effective?
Research shows that CoolSculpting is effective at body contouring and decreasing skinfold thickness in various parts of the body. Research also indicates that CoolSculpting is a safe way to reduce fat in targeted areas of the body and produces minimal side effects, such as redness, tingling, numbness or discomfort. The procedure requires no recovery time, which makes it considerably less invasive than treatments such as liposuction.
Patients typically get the best results from multiple sessions. People are good candidates for CoolSculpting if they’re within 20 to 30 pounds of their goal weight but have trouble eliminating fat in stubborn areas. People above 30 pounds from their goal weight can still be good candidates for the treatment but need more sessions to see the same results.
Benefits of CoolSculpting
If you’ve been dieting and exercising and still find it challenging to lose weight in some areas, CoolSculpting has many benefits, including:
- Proven fat reduction: Cryolipolysis is the only FDA-approved non-surgical treatment for fat reduction. The treatment is proven to work in clinical settings, killing fat cells to help reduce overall weight.
- Treatment of numerous areas: CoolSculpting allows you to target various areas, including the stomach, abdomen, thighs, underarms, chin and flanks. Compared to other fat reduction treatments, you can target more areas of the body to help you lose weight and achieve your goals.
- Non-invasive, quick treatment: CoolSculpting is a non-invasive fat reduction treatment, allowing you to lose weight without worrying about a long recovery time. The treatment is quick, typically lasting around 45 minutes for each session, and you don’t have to worry about any significant side effects that can affect your day-to-day life. After treatment, you’ll have natural-looking results without scarring in a few weeks, with the most notable results appearing at around three months.
- Permanent results: Once we reach adulthood, the number of fat cells we have generally stays the same. When we gain weight in adulthood, the fat cells we have enlarge — new ones don’t appear. CoolSculpting is a permanent way to destroy a percentage of fat cells, decreasing the bulk of fat in a specific area. Once the fat cells are frozen and die, they’re gone and can’t come back. CoolSculpting allows you to see permanent results and can last throughout your life when paired with dieting and exercise.
- Improved self-confidence: CoolSculpting can help you feel better in your own skin, getting you closer to your goal weight and helping you achieve your appearance goals.
Frequently Asked Questions About CoolSculpting
If you’ve never heard of CoolSculpting before or are considering treatment, you may have lingering questions about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions to help you make more sense of the procedure and what you can expect when you go into treatment:
1. Is CoolSculpting Painful?
Because CoolSculpting is a non-invasive procedure, you don’t have to worry about it being painful when you go in for treatment. Once the process begins, you may feel intense cold and a little pressure, but these sensations dissipate quickly. Many people do other things during their treatment, such as watch videos, read or even nap.
You may experience side effects, such as tingling, redness or numbness. However, these feelings only last briefly. You can return to your daily activities as soon as you complete your treatment.
2. How Much Does CoolSculpting Cost?
The price for the CoolSculpting procedure depends on the area you want to target and how many sessions you’ll need. A technician meets with you during your first session and creates a customized treatment program tailored to your budget, body and goals. Some CoolSculpting sessions can target multiple areas during a single visit. You may need additional sessions to meet your goals.
3. What Happens to the Fat Cells That Are Killed?
Once CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells, your body processes these cells and eliminates them from the body. Because the fat cells are killed, CoolScuplting is permanent and can help you achieve your weight goals when you’re having trouble losing stubborn fat.
4. How Do I Know if I’m a Good Candidate for CoolSculpting?
People are good candidates for CoolScuplting if they have stubborn fat in a specific area. CoolScuplting is effective on the stomach, thighs, abdomen and other body areas where fat can be challenging to eliminate through diet and exercise alone. A specialist can help you determine if CoolSculpting is right for you.
5. Is CoolSculpting Covered by Insurance?
Generally, CoolScuplting isn’t covered by insurance, as it’s considered a cosmetic procedure. However, some providers may offer financing options to offset treatment costs, and a specialist can help you find a treatment program that fits your budget.
Contact the Berman Skin Institue to Learn More About CoolSculpting
If you’re considering CoolSculpting to help you lose weight, the Berman Skin Institute can help. Our team will meet with you to develop a customized treatment plan, helping you address your problem areas. We can help you determine how many sessions you need to fit your goals and find a treatment that works for your budget.
Schedule an appointment today to learn if CoolSculpting is right for you!