About Blu-U Light Therapy
Blu-U Light Therapy is a noninvasive treatment for acne that uses light to kill certain bacteria on the skin.
A form of phototherapy, blue light treatments are FDA-approved for acne vulgaris that is moderate or has not responded to other therapies.
- Blue light therapy uses light in the blue wavelength range to kill the bacteria Propionibacterium acnes, or P. acnes, on the skin.
- No Recovery time
- Studies show moderate evidence for the efficacy of blue light treatments for people with mild to moderate acne
- Advantages of blue light therapy for acne
- Safe and gentle
- Appropriate for all areas of the body
- Suitable for use with most other acne therapies
- Unlike photodynamic therapy, there is no requirement to avoid the sun following treatment. Blue light therapy does not cause any scarring.
- A study on people with mild to moderate acne who were treated with blue light therapy twice weekly for 5 weeks reported that lesions were reduced by 64 percent.
- A 2004 study on 28 adults with facial acne who underwent 8 sessions of blue light therapy over 4 weeks experienced nearly 65 percent improvement in acne lesions overall.
- A Japanese study of 10 people with acne on their face or back reported that targeted blue light therapy once or twice a week led to a significant reduction in acne severity in eight participants. None experienced any harmful effects.
- In another study, 33 people with mild to moderate facial acne self-administered blue light application twice daily for 8 weeks, along with certain skincare products. At the end, over 90 percent of participants reported improvements in overall skin appearance, clarity, tone, texture, and smoothness. The vast majority, 82 percent, were satisfied with the treatment system, and 86 percent reported that it was gentler than other acne treatments.
What Can I Expect
Reduction of acne and acne rosacea. There is a lack of data for outcomes in cases of severe acne. Many people experience a significant improvement in their skin health after a number of sessions. Blue light therapy can be used to treat acne that is already present on the skin or to control the condition before an outbreak occurs. However, acne does not usually completely clear up with phototherapy alone.
Safety & Side Effects
Very safe with relatively few, if any adverse effects
Acne Laser Treatment, Acne Extraction, Aesthetician Skin Care, Clear + Brilliant, Facials, Glycolic Peels, Photodynamic Therapy, Medications (Antibiotics, Topical, Isotretinoin), Microdermabrasion, Silk Peel Dermal Infusion, Skin Care Home Therapy, Prescription Topical Medication, Prescription Oral Medication, Blu-U Light Therapy, Berman Skin Institute Skin Care Products.
Who is a Candidate
Anyone who is not sensitive to light may consider this treatment
Other Conditions Treated with Blu-U blue light therapy
- skin cancer
- skin problems
- mood disorders
- sleep disorders
Does it Hurt?
This is a painless procedure
Before Treatment Instructions
After Treatment Instructions
Who Performs the Treatments?
Our Physicians, Nurses, Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners